[Yum] RedHat blocking previously infected hosts ?

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Tue Oct 18 13:53:54 UTC 2005

Greg Knaddison wrote:
> On 10/17/05, Wim Godden <wim at godden.net> wrote:
>
>>That's precisely the problem : I can't connect to RedHat via the web either.
>>I can go anywhere, except for 209.132.177.50
>>And that host is not in my iptables or something like that.
>>
>>Any suggestions are welcome.
>>

> I gave questions you didn't answer, but maybe I wasn't clear enough.
>
> Please follow these steps.  For steps 1 and 2 provide the output in
> your next email.
>
> 1. wget http://www.google.com
> 2. wget http://www.redhat.com
> 3. post your yum.conf and yum.repos.d entries

Well, if your network is anything like my network here, then you are
sending mail to completely the wrong e-mail list.

yum isn't the problem, your networking is the problem.

You need to send e-mail to your networking group, or ISP, or whoever you
get your networking through, and tell them that they can stop blocking
your machine now that you've fixed the virus/webbot problem.

Why?
Because lot's of place really don't like infected machines, and they get
blocked.  At least here, you have to go to the networking people, and
computer security people, and prove to them that your machine is no
longer infected with whatever it was before they will unblock it.

Troy