[Yum] yum problems under FC4

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Oct 18 05:47:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 01:28:28PM +0800, Jeff Pitman alleged:
> On Tuesday 18 October 2005 13:15, seth vidal wrote:
> > it's mostly b/c it is doing a regex of .*userstring.*
>
> Are we stuck with being legacy compat with multiple representations of
> packageSack? Because this could be re-tooled to use a SQL "like" query
> into a carefully keyed sqlite database.
>
> Also, we could learn lessons from rpmfind.net and rpm.pbone.net about
> how the search should be setup. For example, if they want to look for a
> file, then provide full path. Code then keys off of "/".  Then, a plain
> "mt" only looks in package names.  If user doesn't know if "mt" is
> in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin, then burden is placed on the user to
> enumerate the possibilities.

Then you search on "bin/mt".  Likewise, "lib/libmt", etc.

> Searching files, package names, etc. etc., in one swoop can be a
> gargantuan undertaking.

Just to throw this out there, I've always liked how urpmi handles
searching.  You have 'urpmq' which searches in package names and
provides, and 'urpmf' for filenames.

I'd love it if yum had two different arguments for searching
names/provides and filenames.  Maybe this is a job for yum-utils?

University of Southern California