[Yum] Problem with multiple URLs in one baseurl statement

paveltankov at mail.bg paveltankov at mail.bg
Wed Oct 12 19:42:43 UTC 2005

Hello there!

I've been playing with yum lately and think I found some
malfunctioning which might be a kind of bug. Because I like
this program, I immediately consulted the man page to see
how I can submit what I had found. At the end of the man it
said. "...they should be sent to the mailing list:
yum at lists.linux.duke.edu or ...", so here I am. Now on to
the issue.

In the man page of yum.conf is said this:
-------------------------------
baseurl

Must  be  a  URL to the directory where the yum repository’s
‘repodata’ directory lives. Can be an http://, ftp:// or
file:// URL. You can specify multiple URLs in one baseurl
statement. The best way to do this is like this:

[repositoryid]
name=Some name for this repository
baseurl=url://server1/path/to/repository/
        url://server2/path/to/repository/
        url://server3/path/to/repository/

If you list more than one baseurl= statement in a repository
you will find yum will ignore the earlier ones and probably
act bizarrely. Don’t do this, you’ve been warned.
-------------------------------

I've tried this way of specifying multiple URLs in one
baseurl statement and it works. It even works with this
one:
baseurl=
        url://server1/path/to/repository/
        url://server2/path/to/repository/
        url://server3/path/to/repository/

However, there are some problems when a URL starts at the
first column in a row. Like this one:
baseurl=
url://server1/path/to/repository/
        url://server2/path/to/repository/
        url://server3/path/to/repository/
It doesn't recognize the entry
url://server1/path/to/repository/ itself, nor does it
recognize the rest entries. It's as if the first one that
starts at the first column in a row somehow "blocks" all
the trailing ones + itself and yum is blind for them. Now
if I run "yum install <some_program>", I get "Cannot find a
valid baseurl for repo: base".

The same happens with this one:
baseurl=
#        url://server1/path/to/repository/
url://server2/path/to/repository/
        url://server3/path/to/repository/
because the forst one is commented out anyway, and the
second "blocks" itself and all the rest.

If I use some other combination like"
baseurl=
        url://server1/path/to/repository/
url://server2/path/to/repository/
        url://server3/path/to/repository/
now only the first one works, because the second "blocks"
itself and all the rest.

Similarly with this one:
baseurl=
        url://server1/path/to/repository/
        url://server2/path/to/repository/
url://server3/path/to/repository/
only the first and the second ones work, because the third
onw "blocks" itself, and there are no trailing ones to
block, too.

And so on...

Some details about my configuration:
uname -a:
Linux ptankov 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4 #1 Fri Aug 26 20:29:51 EDT
2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

yum --version
2.3.2

I hope this will help make the program even better.

Thanks,
Pavel Tankov