[Yum] Updated to Python 2.4 and Yum 2.4.0, Fedora Core 3, get "No module named urlgrabber"

Jeff Pitman jeff.pitman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 09:31:46 UTC 2005

On 11/29/05, Keith Christian <keithchristian at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Running a Fedora Core 3 system and wanted to update Yum to 2.4.0.  After
> several downloads, I arrived at finally being able to update Yum.
>
> However, Yum now throws an error even after I've installed the requested
> software (Python 2.4 from the Python 2.4 repository, etc.)
>
> Any ideas?  I'm sure that there is simply a misconfiguration where Yum is
> using the old Python 2.3 files instead of the just-install Python 2.4 files.

1. Your python -> /usr/bin/python2.3.
2. You installed python24-urlgrabber which installs into
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages.

You have the folowing choices:

1. Change python to point to /usr/bin/python2.4. (Lots of potential
breakage in other software if you do this.)
2. Install a version of urlgrabber that installs into
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages.
3. Use pyvault which sets this up for you. (shameless plug, sorry.)

--
-jeff