[Yum] Running Yum Remotely

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 11:52:16 UTC 2005

On 11/29/05, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 22:23 -0500, Chris Betti wrote:
> > Another idea I had was running Yum remotely. For example, running Yum on
> > a modern system with plenty of resources but telling it to calculate
> > everything based on the old system. Is this feasible, perhaps with some
> > work? Is Yum's code modular enough that it can serve information from
> > the old system to the new system for dependency processing and XML
> > processing with just a little work?
>
> You could mount the remote system's root via NFS/CIFS and use
> --installroot, but only if the systems use the same metadata format
> (rpmmd vs. yum-arch), and if you don't mind possibly opening security
> holes in your network.

Keep in mind that some RPMS will get angry if they find out they're
being installed over nfs share. A couple packages have %post scripts
that will not agree with some of the *cough* "security" provided by
nfs mounts (root_squash). They'll either hang, or they'll fail to
update certain things.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT