[Yum] Running Yum Remotely

Chris Betti bettic at wam.umd.edu
Wed Nov 30 05:23:04 UTC 2005

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 22:23 -0500, Chris Betti wrote:
>

>>Another idea I had was running Yum remotely. For example, running Yum on
>>a modern system with plenty of resources but telling it to calculate
>>everything based on the old system. Is this feasible, perhaps with some
>>work? Is Yum's code modular enough that it can serve information from
>>the old system to the new system for dependency processing and XML
>>processing with just a little work?
>>

>You could mount the remote system's root via NFS/CIFS and use
>--installroot, but only if the systems use the same metadata format
>(rpmmd vs. yum-arch), and if you don't mind possibly opening security
>holes in your network.

I read about --installroot. I understand it to set yum's view of a
system's root folder to whatever you like. I have two questions about this:

1. The two systems are different (an Athlon XP vs a Pentium 1). Will Yum
know to configure installations for the old system and not the new one?
2. How will Yum know if a dependency is installed? (is this info stored
in Yum's data files accessible over the NFS share?)

Thank you for your response.

- Chris