[Yum] Running Yum Remotely

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 04:18:30 UTC 2005

On 11/29/05, Chris Betti <bettic at wam.umd.edu> wrote:
> As most of you know, running Yum with 128mb or less tends to swap a lot.
> I am running installs and updates with Yum 2.1.11 and FC3 on a P166 with
> 64mb of memory and a slow disk. Running Yum any time I am waiting for
> the system is impossible, so currently I run overnight.

My best solutions for this when I encountered it were
1)just do a couple packages at a time
2)RAM is cheaper than the 30 minutes it will take you to figure out a solution

Now you have:
3)update to a more modern version of yum like 2.4

I believe that the pickling that yum used to do was RAM intensive and
that the new sqlite will be easier to do on RAM-hungry machines.

Greg