[Yum] Running Yum Remotely

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Wed Nov 30 03:51:39 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 22:23 -0500, Chris Betti wrote:
> Another idea I had was running Yum remotely. For example, running Yum on
> a modern system with plenty of resources but telling it to calculate
> everything based on the old system. Is this feasible, perhaps with some
> work? Is Yum's code modular enough that it can serve information from
> the old system to the new system for dependency processing and XML
> processing with just a little work?

You could mount the remote system's root via NFS/CIFS and use
--installroot, but only if the systems use the same metadata format
(rpmmd vs. yum-arch), and if you don't mind possibly opening security
holes in your network.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://fedora.ivazquez.net/