[Yum] Running Yum Remotely

Chris Betti bettic at wam.umd.edu
Wed Nov 30 03:23:08 UTC 2005

As most of you know, running Yum with 128mb or less tends to swap a lot.
I am running installs and updates with Yum 2.1.11 and FC3 on a P166 with
64mb of memory and a slow disk. Running Yum any time I am waiting for
the system is impossible, so currently I run overnight.

I had the idea of mounting a remote swap partition in a ramdisk on
another system, but that seems like a risk. Do you think my concerns
here are justified?

Another idea I had was running Yum remotely. For example, running Yum on
a modern system with plenty of resources but telling it to calculate
everything based on the old system. Is this feasible, perhaps with some
work? Is Yum's code modular enough that it can serve information from
the old system to the new system for dependency processing and XML
processing with just a little work?

It would be great, no matter how it happens, to get Yum functionality on
the old system. I could use apt-get, but I don't want to :-P

Thanks,
Chris Betti