[Yum] Sounds stopped working after yum update

Quinn Eliot Minor qminor at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 21:19:19 UTC 2005

After doing a yum update, the sound stopped working! Whenever I restart
Linux, the speaker is automatically muted, and even if I unmute it, there's
no sound. When I test the sound card, it plays sound just fine, but sound
events don't play, and CD's don't play. I strongly suspect when yum updated
the ALSA drivers something went haywire.

Playing around with the open volume controls does not seem to work, and when
I try to restart the sound server (artsd), I get the following error
message:

"Error: could not initialize sound driver - default can't be opened for
playback (invalid argument)"

Any idea what's going on here? Please help!

Thanks,
Q.