[Yum] yumming

G Lampshire glampshir at netscape.net
Tue Nov 22 20:35:50 UTC 2005

Thought I would send this along, as I was prompted to -

I've got Redhat 4 EL ihstalled;

 uname -a
Linux hercules 2.6.9-5.EL #1 Wed Jan 5 19:22:18 EST 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

I installed Python 2.4.2 but that doesn't seem to help?

There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

   No module named yum

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.3.4 (#1, Nov  4 2004, 14:06:56)
[GCC 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please send this
message to <yum at lists.linux.duke.edu>.

If I tried installing the yum from src.rpm I end up with the following;
RPM build errors:
    user skvidal does not exist - using root
    group skvidal does not exist - using root
    user skvidal does not exist - using root
    group skvidal does not exist - using root
    File not found by glob: /var/tmp/yum-2.4.0root/usr/lib/python?.?/site-packages/yum
    File not found by glob: /var/tmp/yum-2.4.0root/usr/lib/python?.?/site-packages/repomd
    File not found by glob: /var/tmp/yum-2.4.0root/usr/lib/python?.?/site-packages/rpmUtils

so apparently there is a Python problem of some sort - but what is a way around it?

--Geff

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.