[Yum] A proxy friendly Yum?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 16:16:11 UTC 2005

On 11/19/05, Sanjay Arora <sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it be possible to have yum have a feature which when enabled would
> get yum to try the servers in sequential order every time a server
> failed...i.e. try to connect to the first, second server & so on for
> every file...or maybe a better way...just so it is more proxy friendly
> and obviates the need to maintain a local mirror.

I believe yum already uses the servers in the order that they are
listed in the yum.conf unless you are using the fastest-mirror plugin.

If you have more than a handful of machines, you could be best suited
with setting up a local repository with the packages that you use.  I
believe you can even do this with 1 machine that updates via yum to
the outside world and then serve up the yum cache directory on that
machine via http and point the other machines to the http server on
that 1 master server.

Regards,
Greg