[Yum] Redhat EL.3 AS box downgraded to ES after yum update

Jack Neely jjneely at pams.ncsu.edu
Mon Nov 14 15:58:00 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 02:09:27PM +0000, Tom Hodder wrote:
> Quoting Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison at gmail.com>:
>
> >My guess is something related to the rpm that was installed and not
> >related to yum.
>
> I checked the rpms for AS and ES from the redhat network site, and they
> are both
> the same file. So there appears to be something else that determines
> the box to
> use AS options.
>
> >Maybe you could ask RedHat to help, since these are RHEL boxes and you
> >should have a support contract.  Or if they are CentOS or some other
>
> I've opened a ticket with Redhat, and am awaiting the response.
> Unforunately I
> had to do it through the hardware vendor, hp, I have standard support.
>
> >rebuild (including your own) you could ask whomever maintains the
> >rebuild.  If they are yours, asking around on CentOS mailing list/IRC
> >might still be the best way to solve it, but you should include more
> >information like specifically which kernel rpm this is.
>
> The kernel I have upgraded to is;
> kernel-smp-2.4.21-37.EL
>
> The links from the packages both go to the same place...
> kernel-smp-2.4.21-37.EL.i686   	 Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES (v. 3
> for x86)
> https://rhn.redhat.com/network/software/packages/details.pxt?pid=327068
>
> kernel-smp-2.4.21-37.EL.i686   	 Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (v. 3
> for x86)
> https://rhn.redhat.com/network/software/packages/details.pxt?pid=327068
>
> I noticed that my redhat-release package has been upgraded to the wrong
> version
> as well.
> [root at sdat0007 boot]# cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 6)
> [root at sdat0007 boot]#
> [root at sdat0007 boot]# rpm -qa |grep release
> redhat-release-3ES-13.6.2

Its the redhat-release package that is the only really important
difference between the different flavors of RHEL.  The kernel is the
same across all of the flavors.  Replace redhat-release with an AS
version and your machine will magically revert to being an AS box.

Jack

--
Jack Neely <jjneely at ncsu.edu>
Campus Linux Services Project Lead