[Yum] Redhat EL.3 AS box downgraded to ES after yum update

Tom Hodder tom at ecnow.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 14:09:27 UTC 2005

Quoting Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison at gmail.com>:

> My guess is something related to the rpm that was installed and not
> related to yum.

I checked the rpms for AS and ES from the redhat network site, and they
are both
the same file. So there appears to be something else that determines
the box to
use AS options.

> Maybe you could ask RedHat to help, since these are RHEL boxes and you
> should have a support contract.  Or if they are CentOS or some other

I've opened a ticket with Redhat, and am awaiting the response. Unforunately I
had to do it through the hardware vendor, hp, I have standard support.

> rebuild (including your own) you could ask whomever maintains the
> rebuild.  If they are yours, asking around on CentOS mailing list/IRC
> might still be the best way to solve it, but you should include more
> information like specifically which kernel rpm this is.

The kernel I have upgraded to is;
kernel-smp-2.4.21-37.EL

The links from the packages both go to the same place...
kernel-smp-2.4.21-37.EL.i686   	 Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES (v. 3 for x86)
https://rhn.redhat.com/network/software/packages/details.pxt?pid=327068

kernel-smp-2.4.21-37.EL.i686   	 Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (v. 3 for x86)
https://rhn.redhat.com/network/software/packages/details.pxt?pid=327068

I noticed that my redhat-release package has been upgraded to the wrong
version
as well.
[root at sdat0007 boot]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 6)
[root at sdat0007 boot]#
[root at sdat0007 boot]# rpm -qa |grep release
redhat-release-3ES-13.6.2

Tom