[Yum] using yum with FC 4 install CD's.

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Sat Nov 12 06:03:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 07:37:40PM -0700, Earl Eiland enlightened us:
> > On 11/11/05, Earl Eiland <eee at nmt.edu> wrote:
> > > Can I use yum to install something from FC 4 CD's?  This machine has no
> > > Internet connection.
> > >

> > Yes, but it will involve extracting the cds and creating a local yum
> > repository from them. There are several tools available on the
> > internet that will do this for you if you're lazy, but it's really not
> > that hard.

> Does this mean copying the rpm's to a common directory?

Yeah, you just need to copy all the RPMs to a directory, cd to that
directory and run "createrepo ."

You *may* have to install the createrepo rpm first, which hopefully is on
the FC4 CDs. Otherwise you've got a catch 22 :-)

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics