[Yum] Yum munging systems?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri May 27 12:12:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 09:33 +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> Seth,
>
> I'd guess this is linked to this thread:-
>   http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2005-May/090094.html
>
> which references this bug report on fedora-list
>   https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-January/msg01826.html
>
> I do use yum, with reasonable success, against the ATrpms (stable) repo
> - the main problem is handling kernel upgrades (with requisite add-on
> module packages).

1. that refers to yum 2.1.12 - about 5 versions ago. If anyone is using
yum 2.1.12 I would suggest to not do so
2. nothing in there says it will break your system, as is always the
case yum will not continue the transaction if there is a broken
dependency
3. Axel is correct about not using ATrpms all the way. Another term for
the modifications Axel does to the Fedora Core base tree in his packages
would be 'fork'. I think it even goes so far as to
modify /etc/fedora-release to mention ATrpms. This is one reason why I
discourage users from mixing-in ATrpms into their repos, just too much
change to justify it.