[Yum] Problem Upgrading from RH 7.3 to 8.0

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed May 18 15:05:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 09:55 -0400, Jake Colman wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade from RH 7.3 to 8.0 (yes, I know that 9.0 is supported
> and 8.0 is not but I'd rather take baby steps).  I downloaded
> redhat-released-8.0 to fool the system into thinking that it is RH 8.0 so
> that yum will do the update/upgrade.
>
> When I execute a 'yum upgrade' I get the following errors:
>
> Resolving dependencies
> .package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)
> package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)
> package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)
> package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)
> package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)
> package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)
> package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)
> package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)

the apache package was changed from apache to httpd in rhl 8.0. So you
need to get an updated squirrelmail that requires 'httpd' not 'apache'

> If I try 'yum update' to do a simple update of current packages instead of a
> complete distro upgrade, I get the following errors:
>
> Resolving dependencies
> .conflict between initscripts and kbd

an obsolete.

> package Xconfigurator needs libnewt.so.0.50 (not provided)

also an obsolete.

you should update your system to something like rhel3/centos3 if you
want to stick on a distro version for a long time. If you're happy with
what red hat has provided in the past I would encourage contacting their
sales people about a license of rhel3. If you don't have that sort of
money then centos3 is  very capable alternative.