[Yum] Problem Upgrading from RH 7.3 to 8.0

Jake Colman colman at ppllc.com
Wed May 18 13:55:44 UTC 2005

I am trying to upgrade from RH 7.3 to 8.0 (yes, I know that 9.0 is supported
and 8.0 is not but I'd rather take baby steps).  I downloaded
redhat-released-8.0 to fool the system into thinking that it is RH 8.0 so
that yum will do the update/upgrade.

When I execute a 'yum upgrade' I get the following errors:

Resolving dependencies
.package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)
package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)
package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)
package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)
package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)
package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)
package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)
package squirrelmail needs apache (not provided)

If I try 'yum update' to do a simple update of current packages instead of a
complete distro upgrade, I get the following errors:

Resolving dependencies
.conflict between initscripts and kbd
package Xconfigurator needs libnewt.so.0.50 (not provided)

What do I do?  Will jumping from 7.3 to 9.0 help with this problem?

TIA!

...Jake

--
Jake Colman