[Yum] Package management strategy with yum

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Mar 29 22:17:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 11:17 -0500, Jim Bartus wrote:
> I'm interested in how you guys would approach this problem.
>
> Say I have two webserver clusters.  One www.foo.com and one for
> www.bar.com.  Each with say 3 webservers and an app server. How would
> you go about:
>
> 1.) Upgrading a package across all webservers? (say an apache security fix)
>
> 2.) Upgrading a package on only the www.bar.com webservers? (say I want
> to test out a new apache version on one first)
>
> 3.) Upgrade a package (say the kernel) on all www.bar.com servers, but
> no www.foo.com servers.
>
> Basically what I want to be able to do is have an overlapping group
> structure so that I can granularly decide to update a package on
> "machines in the foo group that are also in the webservers group".

you might want to make a yumgroups file  with groups like:

foo-webserver:
foo-appserver:
foo-testing:
foo-servers:

bar-webserver:
bar-appserver:
bar-testing:
bar-servers:

webservers:
appservers:
all:

then make sure you're scripts are only ever running a:
yum groupupdate whichever of the above groups.

then only list the packages in each of those groups that you want to
have on those systems.

option number 2 - run a couple of local repos and only populate the ones
you want.