[Yum] Redhat tools vs YUM

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Mon Mar 21 14:06:32 UTC 2005

Kenneth Young wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> People are telling me that YUM is no longer actively developed (read:
> they tell me "don't use yum").
> They say there's no longer any point in YUM because  the more recent
> version of Redhat's rpm tools
> already handles multi-level of dependecy lookahead (when you specify a
> flag).  They mentioned the
> feature should be in Advanced Server 3 or so.
>
> I have not been able to find out how rpm does that, on Fedora Core 3 or
> on Redhat AS3 update3.
> I thought of asking a question on the redhat mailing list, but being a
> yum fan, I thought I will ask here first.....

Most people I know running FC3 update it with yum, not up2date (Red
Hat's tool).  And FC3 is more recent than AS3.  Also, in the Fedora
Core's, I hear that up2date has been modified so that it can use yum
repositories to update off of.  Also, all of the sites with add-on
packages for FC3 and RHEL3 tend to setup yum repositories to distribute
the packages easily.

In addition to that, there are efforts to have some RH tools (including
the installer) and yum share code.

I'm not sure where your friends are getting their information from.
However, RH-based distros are not moving away from yum.  If anything,
they're moving towards using it more and more.