[Yum] yum gets stuck

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Mar 21 01:29:06 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 12:31 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> I'm building a kickstart install for Fedora 3. Yum is the default
> shipped with FC3, yum-2.1.11-3
> It's a fairly minimal install, after reboot the system runs a script
> that, among other things, is doing a "yum update". The problem is, yum
> gets stuck at this step. Nothing gets displayed. I even changed the
> script to this:
>
> echo "Update system"
> yum -y -e 10 -d 10 update
>
> ...but there's nothing displayed after "Update system". It just hangs.
>
> The weird thing is, sometimes it works. When i start playing with it in
> the morning, it works, but after a few reinstalls, it's just hanging.
>
> Does that sound familiar? Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Is there anything else reading from/writing to the rpmdb at this time?

Also you wouldn't happen to be behind a proxy of some kind, are you?

1. try updating to yum 2.2.1 and see if the problem persists
2. check for a proxy
3. run that yum command in strace and check out what it's doing when
it's just sitting there.

Normally if it's just sitting there it's something going on in python
compiling the .py files or a dns lookup gone bad. :)