[Yum] yum-updateonboot

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Wed Mar 9 20:08:23 UTC 2005

I've written an init script for RHEL3 that will run 'yum update' on
boot.  This is intended for anyone who has a machine down for a few days
to a few weeks or even longer, so that the machine will be updated as
its booted, instead of having to wait for 4am to roll around.

By default it just runs 'yum update' and keeps going.  By modifying the
sysconfig file you can specify groups that the script should call 'yum
groupinstall' on (in case you added packages to your yum groups).  You
can also specify packages, that will cause the system to reboot if
they're updated.  This is intended for kernels, so the system will do
the update, see the kernel was updated, then immediately reboot into the
new kernel.

I've attached the file.  yum-updateonboot.init is intended to become
/etc/rc.d/init.d/yum-updateonboot and yum-updateonboot is intended to
become /etc/sysconfig/yum-updateonboot.

Any questions/comments/etc would be appreciated.  At this point the
script has only seen minimal testing.

Thanks,

Sean