Update RPM files (was Re: [Yum] yum output)

Earl unorlist at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 06:12:33 UTC 2005

Need a way to update an RPM install base (files) for
the next generation Honeywall.

I asked about this earlier and you suggested using
--installroot but I cant figure out a way to make this
work.

I already know Perl/Shell/Sed/awk so I'm using a combo
of them and what I'm able to barrow from yum...

In short:
(1) build a $name.$arch -> $epoch:$filename hash (perl
+ use RPM2;) from the RPM files

(2) Use the $keys from the hash in (1) and yum with
modified output.py to "list available" $all_name.arch
(Side note: you can send a list of 548 package
names.archs to 'list available' with no problem ;P)

(3) "Screen Scrape" (c) Seth Vidal the output of (2)
and create a hash of "available" $name.$arch ->
$epoch:$filename

(4) Go through the $keys of (1) and if defined $val in
(3) send both $val's off to "isnewer.py" which is a
modified version of your string comparison code that
will give me back the newer of the two $value's

I know... its ugly... any suggestions until I learn
more python?

You would be my best friend in the whole world if I
could someday wake up and:

yum update $dir

and have yum update individual files within $dir.

Dependancy checks seem to be working with the temp RPM
DB + rpm --test -Uvh trick...

I looked at using yum-arch -n but we have rpms in
differnt dirs so I'd have to figure that out...  BTW:
Is yum-arch's ability to do dependancy checking
"depricated" or just its ability to correctly creat
yum repos? (no meta data)

Thanks for any feedback anyone can offer

Earl