[Yum] Weird wish

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 2 20:39:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 03:05:28PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> 1. it's a slippery slope in terms of what you include in such a message
> 2. it'd be better to include a generic 'repository info url' in the
> repodata that could be used for any/all information.

Yes, MOTD is tough.  I'm betting most of the people rarely run yum
directly, so they may very well rarely see it anyway.  Also, does yum
force it down your throat?  Personally, I sometimes like an MOTD (if
it's informative and helpful) but normally they just annoy me.  Would
yum let you turn it off?  Would it just be at some output level?

This leads me to the more general question (which I'm exploring purely
out of intellectual curiosity, and NOT suggesting new features) of
communication between repo and client.  Lets say, for example that you
wanted to very politely say "look y'all, you need to find a new repo"
and make yours unavailable to them.  There's currently no way to
communicate a fairly yum-specific message.  The best you could do is
make things inaccessible and then put up a web page hoping folks would
find it.  Seth's idea would address most of this.

					-Michael

  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G