[Yum] [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Thu Jun 30 21:23:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 04:21:31PM -0400, Joshua Jensen wrote:
> Yup... everytime.  Note that we have lots and lots of yum updatings
> happening, and only a few failures like this everyday.

Gah.  Clearly, I didn't completely read your original email.  Sorry
about that.  This error originates inside urllib2 and is associated
with a name not resolving.  I'm with Greg that it appears to be
temporary network issues, such as name resolution or DNS access.

Another test is that you could push /etc/hosts files to your machines
to see if that helps.

					-Michael