[Yum] [UG] parallelizing downloading

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Thu Jun 30 14:29:13 UTC 2005

> One of the tricks I remember coming up before is sensibly representing
> parallel downloads on a 80x25 display w/o resorting to something like
> ncurses or snack.
> Additionally, sensibly skipping a mirror or canceling a download in that
> situation, as well.
>
> While I agree parallel downloads could speed up certain items in yum I'm
> concerned about how complex it could make the interface.
>
> What do y'all think?

What if parallel downloads was an option which also turned off the live
"percent downloaded" display?  Parallel downloads would go off and
download X number of things (configurable in yum.conf or per repo).
When each one file was downloaded, it would print the file name and
"Done", but while it was being downloaded, there would be no file name
or "percentage done" display.

That's one option.  It could be confusing, though, since you wouldn't
see yum display anything until the package was fully downloaded.

I guess you could also print X number of packages:
Downloading foo
Downloading bar
Downloading baz
baz done
bar done
Downloading foobar
foo done

Ctrl-C would select the next mirror for all downloads in progress and
would not be tied to a single download.  If you hit Ctrl-C after
"Downloading baz", all three downloads (foo, bar, baz) would select the
next mirror.

Just some ideas...

/Brian/
--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.