[Yum] Problems with updating from local repository

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 13:16:01 UTC 2005

On 6/30/05, Tim Kirk <kirk at ysbl.york.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a newly install Fedora Core 4 machine which I am trying to
> update from a local repository - mirrored from the mirrored from
> mirrorservice.org in the uk using the following script :
>
> #!/bin/csh
> (cd /yum/ ; /usr/bin/wget -nH --cut-dirs=1 -N -r -np -R iso ftp://
> www.mirrorserv
> ice.org/sites/fedora.redhat.com)

When I look in this mirror for the file you are trying to get, I don't see it:

[greg at porter ~]$ wget
ftp://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/fedora.redhat.com/4/i386/repodata/repomd.xml

--07:12:54--  ftp://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/fedora.redhat.com/4/i386/repodata/repomd.xml
           => `repomd.xml'
Resolving www.mirrorservice.org... 212.219.56.152, 212.219.56.162,
212.219.56.131, ...
Connecting to www.mirrorservice.org[212.219.56.152]:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD /sites/fedora.redhat.com/4/i386/repodata ...
No such directory `sites/fedora.redhat.com/4/i386/repodata'.

[greg at porter ~]$

You said that this is a fresh FC4 install - as in not an upgrade,
right?  What is your yum version?

# yum --version

<snip>

> A fair amount of google searching, and including list archives from
> this list, hasn't helped. I am able to ftp in to 'jjonah' and browse
> the repository without any permissions problems, and the file/
> directory ownerships on the pre FC4 sections of the repository are
> the same as those in the FC4 area. I can even browse the repository
> using the urls from the yum.conf cut&pasted straight into a browser
> window. Even opening the ftp links directly from a terminal when
> viewing the yum.conf with 'more' works, but yum doesn't...
>
> Does anyone have any idea what I can do next to try to isolate or
> correct this problem?

You can FTP in and change directories, but all the way to repodata/repomd.xml ?

Are you making that file in a script somewhere else?

Greg