[Yum] Problems with updating from local repository

Tim Kirk kirk at ysbl.york.ac.uk
Thu Jun 30 12:35:09 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've got a newly install Fedora Core 4 machine which I am trying to
update from a local repository - mirrored from the mirrored from
mirrorservice.org in the uk using the following script :

#!/bin/csh
(cd /yum/ ; /usr/bin/wget -nH --cut-dirs=1 -N -r -np -R iso ftp://
www.mirrorserv
ice.org/sites/fedora.redhat.com)

It has been working fine for Fedora 1, 2 & 3 machines on our network,
but FC4 doesn't seem to want to work...

I use the following configuration :

[root at kushana ~]# more /etc/yum.conf
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=fedora-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=20

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
baseurl=ftp://jjonah/4/i386/os

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
baseurl=ftp://jjonah/updates/4/i386

Just a variation on the yum.conf used on FC3 machines (replacing the
'3' with a '4' in the paths and nothing more).

But when I try to update I get the following problem :

[root at kushana ~]# yum -y update
Repository updates-released already added, not adding again
Repository base already added, not adding again
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB
00:00
ftp://jjonah/updates/4/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError:
[Errno ftp error] 550 Failed to change directory.
Trying other mirror.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: updates-released
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from updates-released: [Errno 256] No
more mirrors to try.

A fair amount of google searching, and including list archives from
this list, hasn't helped. I am able to ftp in to 'jjonah' and browse
the repository without any permissions problems, and the file/
directory ownerships on the pre FC4 sections of the repository are
the same as those in the FC4 area. I can even browse the repository
using the urls from the yum.conf cut&pasted straight into a browser
window. Even opening the ftp links directly from a terminal when
viewing the yum.conf with 'more' works, but yum doesn't...

Does anyone have any idea what I can do next to try to isolate or
correct this problem?

Cheers,

Tim Kirk