[Yum] More on BitTorrent and YUM

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 20:18:48 UTC 2005

On 6/29/05, Michael Stenner <mstenner at ece.arizona.edu> wrote:

> If you want to pursue this, I'd encourage you to look into how
> yum/urlgrabber currently do the network stuff.  For example, yum
> currently relies heavily on the ability to extract JUST THE HEADERS
> from an rpm on the server.  FTP/HTTP/File can do that, but BitTorrent
> cannot.

I'm not trying to promote Yum/BT integration, but I'm not sure about
this point.  BT is suited, in fact based, on getting pieces of the
file.  They currently use "least available" and/or "random piece"
algorithms to decide which piece to get, but I believe that is client
based and could be changed to do a bitrange fairly easily.

Bill - if you are interested in working on this, from what I hear the
btports http://groups.yahoo.com/group/btports/ group on yahoo is
fairly active in doing these sorts of things.  I'm not sure that
"FTPOBT" is such a great idea...but it might be interesting to you to
try.

Greg