[Yum] YUM BUG: fedorforum update

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Wed Jun 22 17:58:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 12:10:01PM -0400, gary wrote:
> An important  BUG has appeared in yum version 2.3.2 that did not appear in
> previous versions....  Yum is unusable to a huge number of people....  This
> error appears constantly when trying to do an update:
>
> [Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out
>
> We are sure it is a yum problem, because all our other internet programs, and
> browsers work just fine without this time out/socket error....  And all
> previous version of yum worked just fine....  This BUG has just been written
> in the new version....

Go ahead and drop it in bugzilla.  When you do so, please link to the
fedoraforum conversation you're referring to.  You're suggesting that
you guys have done a lot of troubleshooting, but you're not telling us
how to get to that.  I wandered over to fedoraforum and didn't find a
search function.

Most likely, this is a feature, not a bug (I've always wanted to say
that).  There is an (as-yet undocumented) option per-repo to set the
timeout.  The default is 30 (seconds).  Just put "timeout=300" or
something in your repo sections to change it.  Better yet, use a
mirror that doesn't give you 30+ second lag.

The issue was that people would get frustrated when they had multiple
mirrors listed but things would wait on a slow mirror.  People wanted
a reasonable timeout so it would fail over to the next.  On a severely
loaded mirror, 30 seconds is not that huge, so you're seeing
timeouts.  The reason you don't see this with other apps is because
they're not trying to access large numbers of large files from a
severely loaded server and they may be using a longer timeout.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G