[Yum] Obsoletes package gets updated?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jun 21 05:34:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 18:28 -0400, Joshua Jensen wrote:
> No kidding :-(
>
> In my perfect world, that admittedly exists only conceptually, I'd not
> have packages get updated *only* because of obsoletes... but if
> obsoletes are present in a package that was chosen for updating for
> *other* reasons, then so be it... I'd apply them.

the latter case is actually more scary:

say you have foo and bar installed.

you see updates available for foo and bar.

but foo's update includes: obsoletes bar.

well when you install the update for foo rpm is going to remove bar,
too. And the update for bar won't even be in consideration.

> Is that not workable?  And when can I get a cli option for that in yum
> 2.0, 2.2, and 2.3/2.4 ?   ;-)

2.0? never.

2.2+ have --obsoletes as an cli option.