[Yum] Upgrading from Fedora FC3 to FC4 using yum...

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 03:34:42 UTC 2005

On 6/20/05, hpatil at softhome.net <hpatil at softhome.net> wrote:
> I am a yum newbie and was upgrading from Fedora FC3 to Fedora FC4 using yum
> (by following instructions in
> http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upgrading_Red_Hat_Linux_with_yum.html) and
> I got the following error in Step 3 when I did "yum -y update kernel".

Maybe you should do step 4 (disable selinux) before step 3...?

Also:

"Only experienced Red Hat/Fedora Core users should attempt this, as
the upgrade process may cause problems.

Theoretically, you should be able to upgrade from any Red Hat
Linux/Fedora Core release to any Red Hat Linux/Fedora Core release
with a yum-compatible repository (i.e. containing yum "header" files).
"

Theoretically...  The difference between theory and practice is that
in theory there is no difference between theory and practice ;)

Is there a reason you are updating this way instead of doing a "linux
upgradeany" at the install point, or just backing up home and doing a
clean install?

Greg