[Yum] Dependancy resolver issues with SuSE kernel update

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Jun 18 04:45:02 UTC 2005

> Here's the important part of /etc/yum.conf:
>
> installonlypkgs=kernel-default, kernel-default-nongpl, kernel-smp,
>  	kernel-smp-nongpl, kernel-syms, kernel-bigsmp, kernel-bigsmp-nongpl,
> 	kernel-um, kernel-um-nongpl,kernel-xen, kernel-xen-nongpl
>
> I don't know, if this isn't my fault, since the kernel-syms (as dep of
> kernel-source) package shouldn't be in this list. Needless to say, if I
> remove it, yum update seems to do it right:

So just to make sure I understand this.

When you try to do an update of kernel-syms, not just an install of the
new version, things work correctly? What exactly is the bug you think
you're seeing here? It sounds like kernel-syms is not a package that is
built for multiply-installed sets.

> The question is, isn't my whole issue a red herring in the first place,
> or should yum deal with such a somewhat bogus setting?

B/c it leaves a dependency dangling, it seems. What would you expect yum
to do?