[Yum] patch to enable bare-bones repacking

Christopher Weis ccweis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 02:16:00 UTC 2005

Having little to no Yum/RPM programming or architectural experience, I
*think* I may have managed to ninja-hack support for repackaging into yum. I
apologize if I'm way off on how I did this. I'm not exactly sure if this is
what the todo item...

-- repackage all erasures should work - I don't think this one is hard
either - it just needs some attention for a few minutes. :)

... is meant to solve, but it seems to be working okay for me so far.

Attached is the patch against the latest CVS.

In short, I modified callback.py to have empty callback handlers for the
RPMCALLBACK_REPACKAGE_* reasons, and depsolve.py to support a "repackage"
tsflag in yum.conf. I ran today's FC4 updates through FC4's
yum-2.3.2-7package (modified with the attached patch) and ended up
with repackaged
RPMs, which I guess is a good thing.

One of the many things I still don't understand about Yum/RPM: when
repackaging a given package, RPMCALLBACK_REPACKAGE_START and
RPMCALLBACK_REPACKAGE_STOP are set as expected, but
RPMCALLBACK_REPACKAGE_PROGRESS is only set for one callback, after which
RPMCALLBACK_INST_PROGRESS is set for the rest of the repackaging progress
callbacks. This seems odd to me, but it also seems to keep repackaging from
taking place during the test run, which is a good thing. Can someone please
try to clarify this? I'm sure I'm missing some core concept here.

Thanks.

~Chris

--
Christopher C. Weis