[Yum-devel] [UG] Re: [Yum] RFE: Yum 2.2.x Header Grabbing

Joshua Jensen joshua at iwsp.com
Tue Jun 14 19:35:03 UTC 2005

This might be a good idea, and not hard to do.  If yum wants bytes 2
through 300,000, download the file, without byte-ranges, and end the
connection after you receive 300,000.  Then perform the byte-range on
result.

Actually, we might be able to have the best of both worlds. Yum might
even be able to send the byte-ranged request itself as you do know, but
just have some logic that ends the connection after/if yum starts to
receive more than it asked for.  This way, if byte-ranged work, great.
If they don't, we would get the whole file (the problem that I'm seeing
sometimes at work now), except that we close the connection and yum
still gets what it needs with byte-ranging the local result.

Is this a good yum 2.3 feature request, or am I just dreaming?

Joshua