[Yum] keeping yum quiet

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Fri Jun 3 11:58:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 09:42 +0100, Huw Lynes wrote:
> We are using yum via cfengine to keep all our boxes up to date every
> night using a script like below:
>

> #yum wrapper so the cfengine gets its umask right
> umask 022
> /usr/bin/yum -y -d 0 -e 0 update yum
> /usr/bin/yum -y -d 0 -e 0 update
>

> This is mostly quiet but it still mails warnings when it saves a config
> file as .rpmnew . Which is moderately annoying when 250 machines all
> mail the same message. Obviously I could dump both stdout and stderr to
> /dev/null but I don't want to miss real error messages.
>
> So I was wondering what other people do to get around this?

Hello Huw,

You would get this same output from rpm were you to install the rpm
manually.  I imagine yum is just taking stderr from rpmlib and giving it
back to you.  Yum probably has no way to know if it's a "real" error or
a simple warning like .rpmnew.  If you know you can disregard certain
errors, why not add some egrep logic to your wrapper?

GREP="egrep -v '.rpmnew|second bogus message|third bogus'"
/usr/bin/yum -y -d 0 -e 0 update yum | $GREP
/usr/bin/yum -y -d 0 -e 0 update | $GREP

Just my 2 cents.  I'll wait to hear from the masters  ;-)

/Brian/

--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.