[Yum] keeping yum quiet

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Fri Jun 3 08:42:19 UTC 2005

We are using yum via cfengine to keep all our boxes up to date every
night using a script like below:

#yum wrapper so the cfengine gets its umask right
umask 022
/usr/bin/yum -y -d 0 -e 0 update yum
/usr/bin/yum -y -d 0 -e 0 update

This is mostly quiet but it still mails warnings when it saves a config
file as .rpmnew . Which is moderately annoying when 250 machines all
mail the same message. Obviously I could dump both stdout and stderr to
/dev/null but I don't want to miss real error messages.

So I was wondering what other people do to get around this?

This is yum 2.0.4 on Fedora 1.

Thanks,
Huw

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |