[Yum] yum in kickstart %post and HP Insight Mgr

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 14:26:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 09:23 -0400, James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov wrote:
> HP has made a lot of crappy packages.  And they still are.  Red Hat might
> do us all a favor if they send them a copy of the "Red Hat RPM Guide".  In
> a meeting with HP in March, I expressed this to the VP of Linux
> Engineering.

HP have admittedly just picked up the crap left by Compaq - but they
haven't improved it either.

The best I have seen is some of their hardware monitoring tools, where
they supplied binary kernel modules, but had a bunch of additional magic
which stripped off all the versioning information and rewrote it to
match the current running kernel.  Of course having made the modules
install that didn't give any guarentees whatsoever that they wouldn't
crash the kernel (and they did).

In case this feels too much like an HP/Compaq bashing session, the
modules for IBM servers also need a lot of work - ie I had rpm spec
files where the source was an IBM (or HP or Compaq) RPM which it took
apart and repacked.

	Nigel.