[Yum] Installing yum 2.3.4 from atrpms-stable causes problems

Dana Bourgeois em-lists at netgods.us
Fri Jul 15 06:21:39 UTC 2005

I use (among others) atrpms-stable, not development or bleeding, not
even good.  This last week I have been seeing beecrypt-4.1, popt-4.1,
rpm-4.4, up2date-4.4 and yum-2.3.4-60 offered as updates.  Selecting any
one of these causes the rest to show up on the dependency list.  They
seem to all require each other.  No problem.

I have python-2.3.4-13.1 installed along with python24-2.4.1-2_8 and all
the supporting packages needed for yum and rpm.  I'm also on Fedora Core
3 x86_64.

If I install all these latest yum/rpm/up2date/popt/beecrypt packages,
yum stops working with errors of missing python-elementtree and
urlgrabber modules.  I found a python elementtree package that satisfies
one of the requirements but the urlgrabber module remains elusive.

In yum 2.2, urlgrabber is part of the yum package but it appears to have
been removed in 2.3.4.  Can someone shed some light on this situation?

In closing, this is not a critical problem for me.  I backed out
yum-2.3.4, reinstalled yum-2.2 and everything is pretty much happy.  But
I'm curious what the plans are and if this is a mistake somewhere or if
the urlgrabber package just needs to be made and posted on one of the
repositories I use so I can successfully upgrade.