[Yum] yum breaks mysql

Ian Kaufman idkaufman at lbl.gov
Mon Jan 24 16:12:42 UTC 2005

This is not a YUM issue per se, but rather how the mysql
RPM was installed.

Is there a mysqld running right now? Have you rebooted?
The error is usually seen when the old daemon is still
running. Also, the start/stop scripts might have changed
enough that the new script cannot stop the old daemon, or
the old script cannot start the new one.

I've been through similar issues before.

Ian

Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-22-01 at 13:25 -0700, Paul Rennix wrote:
>
>>>This is a mysql or mysql package issue, not a yum issue. Yum didn't
>>>break your system, upgrading your mysql RPM broke your system. You
>>>should ask on the list pertaining to your distribution.
>>
>>There is a Yum issue here.
>

> What makes you say that there is? I assure you, yum just passes all
> package installs to the RPM subsystem.
>

>>Is there a way to roll back?
>

> By downloading the previous version and running rpm --oldpackage.
>
> Regards,

Ian Kaufman                                   Email:idkaufmanXlblXgov
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab                Phone:(510)XXX-XXXX
National Energy Research Scientific Computing Ctr
1 Cyclotron Rd, MS 943-256
Berkeley, CA 94720