[Yum] Questions re desktop 150 miles away.

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Jan 23 23:18:48 UTC 2005

On 01/22/2005 06:33:17 AM, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> I am shortly going to be in the situation of installing Fedora Core 3
> onto a
> new desktop for my sister, which is then going to be located 150
> miles
> away, used intermittently and only to have short bursts of dialup
> internet
> connectivity for emails only. The only means of updating it will be
> through
> updates burnt onto a CD or DVD and posted to her.
>
> Therefore, some questions;-
> A - What folders do I need to copy to the CD for yum to use when
> updating
> please?
>
> B - What commands will have to be used at the command line to tell
> yum
> update from the CD please?
>
> Hopefully thanks
> Sharon.

Hi Sharon.
You can if you want steal my shell scripts that I use for such a yum
update DVD for fc3

http://mpeters.us/linux/update_system.txt
http://mpeters.us/linux/autorun.txt

Put them on the top level of the DVD - rename autorun.txt to autorun
and update_system.txt to update_system.sh

Put update packages into a directory called RPMS.updates on the top
level of the dvd

If you mirror all the fc3 updates, you can mirror the repodata
directory too.

If you don't/need to put all updates on the DVD, use createrepo to
create the metadata for RPMS.updates