[Yum] Yum proxy problems - solved

ht ht ht_ht_ht at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 15:32:27 UTC 2005

Set Wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 15:25 +0000, ht ht wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm having problems using yum with fedora core 3. I have a fresh install,
>>when i try and run "yum update"
>>The following message is generated:
>>
>>---> Downloading header for boost to pack into transaction set.
>>boost-1.32.0-1.fc3.i386.r 100% |=========================| 586 kB    00:05
>>http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/pub/fedora/updates/3/i386/boost-1.32.0-1.fc3.i386.rpm:
>>[Errno -1] Header is not complete.
>>
>>Similar messages are then generated for each mirror as yum goes through
>>them.
>>I notice that yum claims to be downloading the header, but actually
>>downloads the full rpm. Is this a problem?
>>
>>The end result is that no packages get updated.
>>

>>The same problem appeared here:
>>https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2004-December/005748.html
>>
>>but i haven't found a solution.
>>
>>Googling for:
>>yum "Headers is not complete"
>>
>>shows that the problem is not widespread, but is affecting a few of us!
>>
>>Please send replies to me as well as the list as i am not subscribed.
>>
>>Thanks for any help,
>
>I'm guessing that either:
>1. the repo site you're connecting to does not support byte ranges
>2. your proxy does not support http byte ranges.
>
>-sv

Seth - good guess (number 2), thanks!

Ok this is solved for me at least. Your web proxy must support bytes
ranges,.
If you are using squid and are only allowing certain HTTP headers through to
increase privacy, then you need to make sure the following 2 lines are in
your squid conf:

header_access If-Range allow all
header_access Range allow all

Once these are in everything starts working again! or at least it did for
me.
Good luck to others out there with similar issues,

ht