[Yum] how to deal with yum

Bob Kashani bobk at ocf.berkeley.edu
Sat Jan 1 21:41:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 21:05 +0100, Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
> - I dont understand the stable/testing/unstable system:
>  * is the stable/testing/unstable tag for the packages or for the whole
> distribution?

If you look here:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/

You'll see dirs for 1, 2, 3 -> these are (stable) releases
development -> is rawhide (unstable)
test -> These are the test releases (test1, test2, etc [beta releases])
updates/1, 2, 3 -> updates released (stable)
updates/testing -> updates for stable that are being tested, once they
are considered stable they are moved to (updates released)

> - is 'yum update' the equivalent of 'apt-get dist-upgrade' or 'apt-get
> upgrade' ? I want to know the step by step way to move from  FC2 to FC3
> when FC3 will be known as ready for servers. I already posted that
> question on the Fedora list but they told the yum way of upgrade is NOT
> supported.

yum update -> updates packages to newest versions as specified in your
yum.conf/yum.repos.d/*
yum upgrade -> same as (yum --obsoletes update) upgrades to newest
versions and resolves (replaces) packages that have been obsoleted. This
is usually only useful during an upgrade to a new release.

man yum -> will give you lots of info about available commands
man yum.conf -> will give you info about yum.conf file

or you could use 'info' instead of 'man' i.e. 'info yum'

> PS: what's the difference with the Fedora legacy and fedora.us? Are they
> fighting? Are they working together? what's the deal?

I think that Fedora Legacy takes over Fedora releases that have reached
EOL (End Of Life).

I have no idea what's going on with fedora.us right now except that it's
a mirror repo for FC3 (for apt-get for rpm users only). For FC1 and FC2
there are lots of extra packages available (don't know if they are still
maintained though).

Some fedora sites that might help you out:

http://www.fedoranews.org/
http://fedoraforum.org/

Bob

--