[Yum] RHEL 3,4 and SUSE.

Matt Heaton admin at bluehost.com
Sun Feb 27 00:21:28 UTC 2005

This is Matt with Bluehost.com.  We are a hosting company that currently
has about 80 Mbits of Bandwidth
that goes idle between 6pm - 10 am everyday.  We use Red Hat Enterprise
3 and 4 and compile updates
ourselves and run our own up2date server.  I would like to provide FREE
updates for the community for RHEL 3,4
and SUSE using YUM instead.  I want to provide a simply RPM for SUSE and
Redhat that will then use our own
Yum server to keep these systems current.  Is this feasable with Yum?
My specific questions are.

1) If I compile the RPMs from source for RHEL 3 and 4 will the Yum
server/client pick up the naming conventions
properly and update all my packages?  I know this is how Whitebox and
Centos do it, but is it a generic Yum install or
is it a modified one?

2) Is there anyone out there in the community that has experience in
this exact situation that would like to be paid $$$
for helping get us in the right direction?  If so please email back to
admin at bluehost.com or call Matt Heaton at
(801) 836-7666

3) Am I duplicating someone elses work?  I don't believe there are any
free RHEL 3 or 4, or SUSE update sites out there?
I have plenty of free bandwidth which is normally not the case and so I
want to help ourselves and everyone else without
paying Redhat for every updated machine on my network?

Thanks,
Matt Heaton