[Yum] yum.corn error

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Wed Feb 16 16:56:13 UTC 2005

OK, first of all... yum.corn really amuses me.

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 02:09:47PM +0530, Amar Pradhan wrote:
> I have a yum running on RH8.Few day's back I had to change by web server
> Document Root Path from /home/www/html to /home/www/html/common.
>
> After making the above changes, yum stopped working and then I had to edit

You changed the document root on the repo server, right?  yum will
really not care if you change a local web server's config.

> yum.conf file and changed the baseurl path from http:// to ftp: and it
> started working fine. But from the other server I am still getting the
> following error message.

Other server?  You mean the server whose config you changed?

> Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2005 3:30 PM
> >> Error getting file
> >> http://157.95.32.2/pub/yum-repository/redhat/8.0/i386/headers/header.info
> >> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (111, 'Connection refused')>

OK, here's the deal with this kind of output.  yum is telling you what
url it's trying, and it's telling you what's happening when it tries.
First, try this url on your own in a browser.  What do you get?  If
you don't get an error, try it from the same box that yum is running
from.  If you DO get an error, then either:

  a) your server is misconfigured, or
  b) you're telling yum to look in the wrong place

However, connection refused suggests that the server isn't even taking
connections, so I'm better your server is misconfigured.

> When I run yum list it doesn't give me any error,

"yum list" and "yum update" (for example) use the same servers, so I
would expect you to get similar results.  Unless, of course, you're
running as a normal user or in cache-only mode.  Then it won't contact
the servers.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G