[Yum] Yum hang while updating

Anand Buddhdev arb at anand.org
Sat Feb 12 17:53:37 UTC 2005

fredn1 at gmx.de wrote:

Hi Fred,

>>I noticed that several packages are now duplicated in the RPM database,
>>for example:
>>
>># rpm -q vixie-cron
>>vixie-cron-3.0.1-87
>>vixie-cron-4.1-20_FC3
>
> Do the following for each of the duplicated packages
> to remove the older version of each:
>
> rpm -ev vixie-cron-3.0.1-87

Thanks for this advice. I eventually just made a list of the duplicates,
and used "rpm -ev" to remove them. I have been experimenting with
another package manager on my laptop, called smart[1], which works much
like yum, but has some improvements. It downloads repo metadata and
packages in parallel, making the process faster, but more interestingly,
as it upgrades packages, it removes the old one immediately. Thus, a
hung process would not leave the RPM database in such a mess. Perhaps
yum could be modified to work like smart, to guard against this kind of
problem.

[1] http://www.smartpm.org