[Yum] Yum hang while updating

Anand Buddhdev arb at anand.org
Fri Feb 11 15:58:09 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

I tried to upgrade a server from FC2 to FC3 today using yum. I followed
the following steps:

1. Manually downloaded and upgraded the fedora-release package to FC3.

2. FC2 has yum 2.0.7. I edited the /etc/yum.conf file to point the base
and updates repos to a nearby mirror.

3. I followed the instructions in the FC3 release notes, and did the
following:

# yum upgrade initscripts
# yum install udev
# /sbin/start_udev
# yum upgrade mkinitrd (yum said that the installed mkinitrd was the latest)
# yum upgrade

At this point, yum downloaded all the new headers, and then showed me a
list of all the packages that it was going to upgrade/install/remove. I
typed 'y' and it downloaded all the packages, installed them all, and
began to complete the updates (I am not sure what happens during this
stage).

php 100 % done 185/364
mod_ssl 100 % done 186/364
httpd-suexec 100 % done 187/364
Completing update for php-mbstring  - 188/364
Completing update for tar  - 189/364
Completing update for openssh-server  - 190/364
Completing update for libgpg-error  - 191/364

However, when it came to the cyrus-sasl-md5 package, it hung:

Completing update for man  - 326/364
Completing update for rpm  - 327/364
Completing update for cyrus-sasl-md5  - 328/364

I thought it was just slow, but after about 10 minutes, it was still
there. So I tried to press control-c to stop it, but that did not work.
Eventually, I had to send a KILL signal from another terminal to stop
it. I managed to reboot my system, and it seems to be running fine, but
I noticed that several packages are now duplicated in the RPM database,
for example:

# rpm -q vixie-cron
vixie-cron-3.0.1-87
vixie-cron-4.1-20_FC3

I think that the "completing updates" part is where yum erases the old
packages, but in my case, that did not finish. Could anyone provide
suggestions on how I can recover from this mess easily?