[Yum] Re: yum install using auto-dependency checking???

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Aug 31 20:13:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 09:56 -0700, Greg Knaddison wrote:
> These are commercial software vendors, right?  So you can lodge a
> support request with them and then call your sales person and tell him
> what a pain it is to deal with the tarballs they give you.  It's not
> like you're making an unreasonable request when you say "make a
> package that installs easily on the number 1 corporate Linux
> distribution."
>
> For a while I was QA/CM in a small cross-platform software shop so we
> created java installers and had anyone asked for an RPM we certainly
> would have done it.  It's not that hard...

It's not about proper packaging being technically hard. I seriously
don't know what the hell it IS about, but many, or perhaps even most,
commercial vendors just don't seem to "get it" no matter how you explain
what they're doing is stupid. A certain commercial piece of software
checks the operating system version from /etc/issue and if that doesn't
match the "factory defaults" of the distro, the software wont install.
They vendor has been told about the wrongs of their ways ("you know,
there's a place which is officially supported way to check the distro
version...") back in RHL 7.x days.. and yet the stupid check still
remains in that software.

Oh and yes this is wildly off-topic for this list :)

	- Panu -