[Yum] Re: yum install using auto-dependency checking???

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Wed Aug 31 17:17:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 09:18:32AM -0700, jeff stern enlightened us:
> okay, thank you, panu. i did indeed try 'yum clean all' and this worked:
> apparently you were exactly correct: yum had been caching old stuff
> (even though i was recreating the repodata each time i rebuilt). this
> explained why rpm worked now with the dependency taken out but yum did
> not. cleaning the cache was just what the doctor ordered.
>
> also see my post in response to sandra. i just used 'AutoReq: no' in the
> php.spec file to 'remove' the dependency. however, this is just a
> kludge, since (as has been pointed out by jim perrin) my php-interbase
> will not require that you actually do have the drivers (libgds.so)
> actually installed, and this could potentially mean you crash the php or
> even the httpd when you make an interbase call through php code, but the
> interbase driver is not actually loaded.
>
> but this does at least let yum (and rpm) work, and since i am only
> distributing (via yum repository) locally (in-house), we know that we
> have installed the Borland/Interbase tarball. sure would be nice if they
> distributed an rpm (as they did before, but that rpm was broken, too,
> since it didn't say that it provided 'libgds.so', even though it did
> supply libgds.so.0 and symlinked libgds.so to it).

Would it not be possible to build a meta package that requires the Borland
rpm and simply provides libgds.so? That way you know their RPM will be
installed so libgds.so.0 is there, and the libgds.so requirement is
satisfied for yum by your meta package.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak