[Yum] Yum Version

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Aug 31 05:36:19 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 13:29 +0800, Jeff Pitman wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 August 2005 12:08, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> > >
> > > I just built 2.3.4 for CentOS 3.5:
> >
> > Does yum >= 2.1 support old-style yum-arch repos?
>
> No. And neither should repos.  If they only support the old-style
> because of legacy reasons, then those maintaining such repos should be
> encouraged to generate xml-md.  This would be something that more
> active CentOS community members would have to engage in. I'm not sure
> of many yum-enabled CentOS 3.5 repos out there.

one reason has to do with kernels and mkinitrd.

yum 2.0.X would automatically make the just-installed and newest kernel
the default kernel for booting. Yum 2.2.X and 2.4.X dropped that
'functionality' b/c the mkinitrd package in the newer distributions and
newer releases handled that for us.

So the problem with running yum >= 2.2.X on a centos3 machine is that
the new kernel won't be the default boot kernel.